Wellington’s Top 20 Sunny Day Activities
Summer has us itching to get out and play, and Wellington never fails to deliver the goods. From lounging with a drink in hand to exploring the region’s wild side, there’s no shortage of fun to be had. Take advantage of these warm summer days and check out some of our favorite sunny day activities!
Get on the water!
Wellington is surrounded by the sea, giving us heaps of options when it comes to playing in the big bath. The question is, which toy is right for you?
- Located in the city center, Fergs Kayaks has everything you need for a day on the water. Grab a SUP board and paddle over to Oriental Bay for an unforgettable beach day.
- Ever wanted to learn to sail? Wellington Ocean Sports offers a variety of affordable courses for people with any level of experience.
- Grab the East by West Ferry over to Days Bay and pick up a kayak from The Boatshed. Pro tip: it’s free to take your bike across on the ferry!
- Have a surf at Lyall Bay – just pop in to Real Surf to grab all you need.
- Get IN the water! You don’t need a boat to have fun, check out our Top Wellington Beaches list and hop right in.
Something about being in the sun makes eating so much sweeter… There’s no better way to spend a sunny day than checking out some of Wellington’s best outdoor eateries.
- Grab a bean bag at St Johns and enjoy the waterfront vibes alongside Frank Kitts Lagoon.
- For the ultimate sunny garden experience, head out back at Southern Cross.
- After some ‘za? You can’t beat the funky outdoor seating at Rogue and Vagabond.
- Get out of the city and to the best seaside dining around at Scorch O Rama.
- Enjoy the Oriental Bay vibes over a legendary Beach Babylon brunch.
- Get high above the city with a drink in hand at The Arborist Rooftop Bar.
- Keen to eat your own kai? Check out our 5 favorite picnic spots in Wellington.
Flora and Fauna!
Plants and animals love the sun just as much as you do, so why not spend the day together?
- Learn about local sea critters at the Island Bay Marine Education Centre. Yes, there is a petting tank, as well as tide pools begging to be explored.
- Get amongst our native birds at Zealandia – Wellington’s 225 hectare ecosanctuary. Pest free and full of beautiful tracks, it’s a guaranteed way to kill an afternoon in serenity.
- Smell the roses at Wellington’s Botanic Garden, featuring 25 Hectares of colorful, strange, and delightful plants.
- Head up to the Zoo to check out all the animals, but we recommend spending 90% of your visit watching the otters snuggle.
Wellington is home to hills, valleys, rivers, beaches and rocks, all ready to be explored on a sunny day.
- Go for a jog along the wild coastline at Red Rocks reserve. Sunday is the best day for it, as the unsealed road is only open for foot and bike traffic.
- Ride the trails at the world-class Makara Peak Mountain Bike Park. No bike? No problem – we hire mountain bikes!
- Take advantage of one of the many walks right here in the city. Check out Wellington City Council’s Walks and Walkways list to get inspired!
- Catch the train out to the Paekakariki Escarpment Track for a workout and spectacular views of the Kapiti Coast.
- Peddle to some of Wellingtons best sights on one of our guided tours.
A sunny day is no time to be stuck in the car and luckily all of the above are accessible by bike. Grab an eBike from us and peddle away on your sunny day adventure!